Theresa Merrigan works as a Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist, Clinical Supervisor and Training Analyst with private practice consulting rooms at 20 Fitzwilliam Place, Dublin 2 and Galway City Centre. She is a full member of the IFPP, ICP and holds the European Certificate in Psychotherapy. As well as working therapeutically with adults, Theresa also facilitates reflective practice groups in organisational settings for teams working in the area of health care. She is involved in the provision of training for psychotherapists and is a contributing lecturer on the MSc in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy and also on the MPhil in Psychoanalytic Studies in Trinity College, Dublin.
She is a former member of the Board of the Irish Institute of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy as well as a founding member of Disability Psychotherapy Ireland Interest Group which convenes discussion groups and CPD events.
Theresa has held senior management roles in the NGO mental health sector. Her particular interest is working in the area of childhood trauma and with adults who experience long-standing emotional difficulties as well as struggling with recent traumatic events or PTSD.
People from all walks of life seek therapy for many different issues. Sometimes there is a specific reason but in some cases the immediate cause of distress is less obvious. People have made contact when struggling with emotional problems such as:
• Feeling stressed or anxious
• Coming to terms with losses such as bereavement, separation, divorce or the loss of a job
• Lacking confidence, self-esteem or having feelings of not reaching their full potential
• Difficulties in making or maintaining good relationships
• Repeatedly becoming involved in destructive or unsatisfactory relationships
• Feeling depressed, sad or empty
• Lacking a sense of purpose or feeling that life is meaningless
• Having unresolved issues from the past
• Difficulties relating to sexuality
• Family conflicts or problems at work
You can get more information on Theresa’s practice here: www.mypsychotherapy.ie